Saturday, January 12, 2008

My very first moto ride and other touristy things

I didn't fall off! (Or soil myself, as originally predicted). Moto rides are actually pretty awesome, although I do think I'll invest in a helmut given Cambodian drivers utter disregard for traffic lanes, on-coming vehicles, and their propensity for driving against traffic. And oh yeah, traffic signals don't mean much here either--whoever said red means stop and green means go was obviously not from Phnom Penh.

Yesterday I ventured out to the National Museum and the Royal Palace. Saw a lot of sculptures at the National Museum, mostly influenced by Hindu and Buddhist religion. Most of the sculptures were damaged however; thank you Khmer Rouge. The Royal Palace is gigantic, set within a walled off compound, well over a city block in size. I should have taken more time to explore it, but at that point in the day, I was sweating balls and ready to return to the guesthouse. While at the Palace, I did check out the big spots, including the throne room (massive) and the Silver Pagoda (the floor of which is laid entirely with silver tiles, although most are covered up) which houses an emerald Buddha. Poked around a bit more and found a small temple atop a little hill surrounded by a grove--guarded by monkeys and lions.

Also, two leads on apartments--one in my price range, but in not such a great area, one outside my price range, but in a good area. Considering some of the horror stories I heard on my first day at work, I might go for the good area option, since getting surgery in Bangkok will be more expensive and I am currently privileged to have full mobility in both arms.

Further update--Hooray for not getting malaria, japanese encephalitis, or dengue fever yet. Although when a kitten jumped on my lap at dinner, my mind immediately went to the fact that I neglected to get my rabies shot. Oh well, I just won't feed the monkeys.

LESSONS LEARNED aka STUPID FOREIGNER FEES (SFF)

1) When entering Cambodia, do not take the immigration officer up on his offer to get your visa extended immediately. It is expensive (gotta love corruption) and even though he says he'll drop your passport and visa off at the guesthouse--he won't know where it is. (Found out at work the next day that NGOs get visas for free).

2) When negotiating a price for a moto ride, make sure you know your Cambodian numbers. The driver started off with $1, and I, adept bargain hunter that I am, countered with "bpram bpoan rial", which to my delight he readily accepted. "Bpram bpoan rial" is actually equivalent to $1.25. I am the awesomest bargainer ever.

LESSONS CONFIRMED

1) Older Asian women do not like me. I blame the eyebrow ring and my poor grasp of the Khmer language.

That's all for now,
PEACE

P.S. Cultural imperialism anyone? Shorty got low low low low at the National Museum Coffee Shop.

1 comment:

Smarty McFly said...

I am so glad things are going well. Could you expand upon the reasoning for living in the good area apartment rather than having to have surgery and losing moblilty of both arms from living in a bad area. What is the story behind it? Other than the obvious. What is the nightmare you were told? Just curious. Also, the first SFF lesson learned, did you actually learn it yourself or find out from someone else? I want the interesting details!

-Chelsea
I<3U