Thursday, January 31, 2008

Svay Rieng to Phnom Penh Again

Well, I'm back from Svay Rieng and starting my fourth week at work. Note on Svay Rieng: The scenery - beautiful. The mosquitos - unforgiving. The workshops - unrelenting. On our way there and back we took a ferry over the Mekong and traveled through Neak Leoung, which is a city bombed by the U.S. military by mistake during the Khmer Rouge regime. What else can I say except that I learned a lot about Khmer culture, how NOT to interact with Khmer men (constructive criticism is never taken as constructive), and that I had an incredibly emotional experience in a shelter (almost broke down in tears multiple times, but the worst was when they kept saying they missed their mommies and that they didn't want us to go--we're trying to arrange a follow-up).

Things that I will not miss about Svay Rieng: (1) that damned rooster (2) shack karaoke (that is, karaoke in a tiny, tin roofed shack by a lake right outside my hotel room) until 5:30 in the morning, interrupted with a 1/2 hour break, and then starting all over again at 6 a.m. (3) creepy military guys who were also staying at the same hotel. . . seriously? stop staring at me.

I have finally moved into my apartment which is right near the Olympic Stadium, and took my first trip to the Olympic Market, which, may I say, was incredibly claustrophobic. I definitely got charged multiple SFFs, but as we all know--I'm not so good at the bargaining. On my way back from the market I ate at a restaurant less than a block away from my apartment that I suspect may double as a brothel at night. That, combined with the fact that a lot of the workers looked WAY underage, means that I most likely won't be going back.

My apartment is an area that is definitely outside the range of baraangs (Westerners), and therefore, places that cater to English speakers. The building owners, and woman who works at the vendor's stall downstairs keep talking to me as if I know what they're saying (which I should!). I do a lot of nodding and smiling and "min yul dtee"-ing ("I don't understand"-ing). At least I can communicate enough with the moto drivers to get to and from work (which is an accomplishment of which I am extremely proud).

Additional Awesome People:
  • The 77 year old man, A., who overshared about his gastrointestinal distress and is traveling by himself throughout Asia. Met him at the guesthouse before I checked out. He's already spent a month in Thailand and a month in Cambodia. This is to be followed by a month in Laos and Vietnam each and three months in China. If I'm ever in Granada, I have a place to stay.
  • The keynote speaker at the workshop who answered his phone during his opening speech and took a 7 minute call over the microphone.
Interesting Food Finds:
  • Dragon Fruit - The outside is pink and it looks like a flower, the inside is white and has little black seeds (like a kiwi). Can't really describe the taste, but it's good and not too strong.
  • Sour Soup - Self-explanatory. Similar is fermented lemon soup which is actually pretty chnaang chnaang (tasty tasty).
PEACE

p.s. I met a friend of Bill at the guesthouse!

1 comment:

Smarty McFly said...

Thank you for posting pictures! Your apartment is looks pretty nice! I am glad everything is going well :)

I also think the keynote speaker who answers his phone at the beginning of his speech is pretty awesome. Did he have an interesting conversation since you heard is over the microphone?

You rule!

<3<3<3